I have recently started volunteering for the local branch of Mind, a mental health charity that aims to promote good mental health, encourage better understanding of mental health issues and provide support to those suffering from mental illness. They run a telephone service called Mindline in the evenings, which provides a similar service to the Samaritans, but is more specifically tailored towards those with mental health problems. The charity also runs various support groups, drop-in cafes and has just started an ecotherapy scheme, which aims to improve people’s mental health by providing an opportunity to get physical exercise outdoors in the natural environment, either through conservation activities or growing vegetables.
On Tuesday I was asked to devise a mental health quiz to be handed out at local freshers fairs in September. The idea was to test people’s knowledge of mental health issues and hopefully also challenge some of the common misconceptions. If you want to have a go at the quiz, the questions are below – do try not to Google the answers, I will put them up on here in a few days time anyway.
Actually, if you’re really keen, you can email me your answers – I will mark the entries and send the winner a PRIZE! Not just a metaphorical prize either, but a REAL one, although it will be fairly small. The deadline for submissions is Sunday, so I will announce the winner on Monday and also put the answers up here then too. If there’s a draw…errr…I’ll work that one out if and when it happens! Remember, no Googling! 😉
Also, at the bottom of the post, you will find a link to the fundraising page of one of the Mind staff members, who is trying to raise £300,000 by running various different marathons – if just 1% of the UK population sponsored him 50p each he would be able to reach this target.
Mental Health Quiz
- What percentage of the UK population
will suffer some form of mental illness during their lifetime?
A) 1% B) 5% C) 10% D) 25%
2. People with mental health problems are often violent.
3. Bipolar disorder and manic depression are the same thing.
4. People who suffer from schizophrenia have multiple personalities.
5. How many people will suffer from schizophrenia during their lifetime?
A) 1 in 1000 B) 1 in 500 C) 1 in 200 D) 1 in 100
6. Which of these can act as a trigger for eating disorders such as anorexia & bulimia?
A) low self-esteem B) sexual abuse C) bereavement D) exam stress
7. What is ailurophobia a fear of?
A) flying B) cats C) illness D) snakes
8. Most suicides happen in the winter months.
9. People receiving treatment for mental illness cannot serve on a jury.
10. Which of these celebrities have suffered from mental illness?
Alastair Campbell, Jim Carrey, Ruby Wax, Stephen Fry, Gwyneth Paltrow,
Russell Brand, J.K. Rowling, Justin Timberlake, Elton John, Sharon Osbourne.
Here is the link to Dave’s marathon fundraising page. Your 50p will be much appreciated 🙂 www.bmycharity.com/daveurwin